November 30, 2005

Noodling and goggling >> Travel: Laos, Myanmar, Thailand 24


Oct 22: Night, Chiangmai

Okay. So.

Not every restaurant serves value-for-money or tasty food.

We just had Thai food for dinner. What we had in Bangkok's Krua Nopparat was better. As we were walking back, we saw a street vendor selling soups and small dishes with rice. They looked sensational!

Wish we had that instead.

There are many noodles stalls, scattered all over Chiang Mai town. Few stalls taste alike, even if they are all selling the usual array of fried and soup dishes. Even phad tai, the ubiquitous Thai fried noodles, tastes different at different stalls. I guess every cook has his or her own secret recipe. A culinary adventure!

Most of the street stalls seem clean enough. Last night, we ate kuay teow soup from one stall, which had set up several tables on the pavement by a carpark. A simple and enjoyable meal, with nary a squeak in protest from our tummies after that. We avoided the ice water and raw vegetables, two items usually provided free at noodles eateries, though.

At these casual eating places, we often have only a vague idea of what we have ordered because communication is limited to sign language. We point to items we can identify or to other people's orders and then hope the stall owner gets ours right!

So far, that has gotten us delicious food, cheerful grins or grunts and bills a portion of what we would have to pay if we stick to hotel restaurants and more formal seat-down eateries.

FlowersOct 23: Night, Chiangmai

I am watching Ally McBeal and writing this. I think Ally is on her second last season. Am so not into the show now. I have stopped watching the series when it is on in Singapore.

On previous trips, however, I have discovered some gems from cable TV in some of the hotels and guesthouses we have stayed in. I remember catching X-Files in India in the 1990s. I got hooked after that and started to follow the series when I returned to Singapore.

Annie says I turn into a TV-freak when we travel. I judiciously abstain from comment.

My friend is now in the bathroom trying out the clothes we bought earlier. Ah! Here she is. Looks good on her. These clothes are to supplement our thoroughly meagre wardrobe, which is getting thinner with every vigorous wash by our hands or by the local laundry.

Although we are of different build, we can still share certain tops. This gives us more choices when we mix and match our clothes, spicing up the monotony of wearing the same few pieces every day.

Just now, however, the thrill of new clothes takes a back seat to the goggle box. I cannot be bothered to try the colourful bargains strewn all over our beds.

From the corner of my left eye, I note Annie's exasperated amusement at my imitation of a couch potato. Yes, there is no prying me away from the set. Clothes, they can wait. I will even stop pecking at my journal after this sentence.

Right now, I prefer the antics of Ally, Fish, et al.

Budget (for two in baht)

Oct 22
Room >> B550
Breakfast (in addition to hotel's) >> B40
Coffee >> B55
Laundry >> B85
Lunch >> B40
Internet >> B27
Snacks >> B10
Drinks >> B30
Dinner >> B172

Oct 23
Room >> B550

Lunch >> B60
Laundry >> B30
Groceries >> B249
Clothes >> B799
Drinks >> B26
Dinner B130

Next... Threshold of the Golden Triangle

No comments: